Re: [hylafax-users] Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

><step onto soap box>
>
>By "the HylaFAX developers" I assume that you mean those developers who
>actively develop new feature support for HylaFAX.  Well, there are a
>very few of us "regulars", and having been an observer and participator
>in HylaFAX development for close to three years now, I can honestly say
>that although the perspective of "they will eventually implement such
>and such a feature" is common among users, it is not in reality how
>things unfold.

>In general, HylaFAX development only seems to occur when a developer
>chooses to develop it for themselves (whether they use it personally or
>in their trade), and it generally doesn't happen simply as an effort to
>"benevolently maintain the technology".  So although it may be true
>that someday (being a long time) a developer will incorporate most
>common features into HylaFAX, the typical user perspective I mentioned
>underestimates the amount of apathy that has existed (and seemingly
>continues to exist) towards facsimile technology in general, and
>especially among facsimile softwares (not just with HylaFAX).

>Point being, that if someone wants something done... generally it's
>going to require them to be the catalyst.

></step onto soap box>

>Lee.

Being new to the world of faxing (2 weeks) I decided to go with hylafax
(rather than the alternatives EFax or mgetty) because hylafax seemed to be
more actively developed and 'enterprise ready'. In the light of the comments
above is this analysis correct?

John