Re: [hylafax-users] Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

On 2003.05.20 15:20 George Bell wrote:
> Lee Howard wrote:

>> I'd tend to believe that you'll have a hard time getting this to
>> work by "toying" with configuration prameters.  I'm guessing that
>> this will require actual code development.  In other words, someone
>> is going to need to do programming work.  There are many programmers
>> for hire, I'm sure.  If you don't have a favorite, try hylafax-devel
>> or iFax.

> Yes, that  seems to be the only true solution.
> I would imagine that the hylafax developers will eventually take note
> of this and incorporate the DRON,DROFF methods of ring detection in
> future releases.

<step onto soap box>

By "the HylaFAX developers" I assume that you mean those developers who
actively develop new feature support for HylaFAX.  Well, there are a
very few of us "regulars", and having been an observer and participator
in HylaFAX development for close to three years now, I can honestly say
that although the perspective of "they will eventually implement such
and such a feature" is common among users, it is not in reality how
things unfold.

In general, HylaFAX development only seems to occur when a developer
chooses to develop it for themselves (whether they use it personally or
in their trade), and it generally doesn't happen simply as an effort to
"benevolently maintain the technology".  So although it may be true
that someday (being a long time) a developer will incorporate most
common features into HylaFAX, the typical user perspective I mentioned
underestimates the amount of apathy that has existed (and seemingly
continues to exist) towards facsimile technology in general, and
especially among facsimile softwares (not just with HylaFAX).

Point being, that if someone wants something done... generally it's
going to require them to be the catalyst.

</step onto soap box>

Lee.