Re: [hylafax-users] Conclusion: Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

Lee Howard wrote:

> On 2003.05.20 15:09 George Bell wrote:
>
>> Through several sessions with minicom and my cell-phone, I have found
>> that the ring patterns reported by the modem for the fax number,
>> with  AT+VDR=1,1 , are(with perhaps exceptions at the very begining
>> and excluding any caller id information)
>>
>> DRON=8
>> RING
>> DRON=4
>> DRON=8
>> RING
>> DROF=40
>>
>> repeat....
>>
>> While for my normal voice number
>>
>> DRON=20
>> RING
>> DROF=40
>>
>> repeat...
>

> Given that "DRON=8" only ever appears on fax calls, you *should* be
> able to do this to make it work:
>
> You could set:
>
> RingsBeforeAnswer:  4 # for caller-id reception
> RingFax:  "DRON=8" # this becomes "RING" to faxgetty
>
> and *don't* set RingVoice or faxgetty will attempt to answer it and
> hand it off to egetty or something that is probably not installed on
> your system.

But if I don't, then what?  Faxgetty already has a lock on the modem(see
notes further down). True, it would be good enough if all I wanted was
for a human to answer the phone(and I have tried this - it works, the
modem won't answer if I answer before the 9 rings) , but I'd like to
have voicemail.

> I think that you mentioned trying this with problems, but it *should*
> work.

Yes, but it doesn't work.  If I put into my config.ttySn file:

RingFax:          "DRON=8"
RingVoice:          "RING"

I receive a fax tone on my cell phone in both cases.  The hylafax
documentation appears to indicate that what is supposed to happen is : a
vgetty process is to be invoked to handle the call, because it has
"deduced" that the call is a voice call.   *But* this is interesting:
 in the logs a caller id is recorded for voice calls, but not fax calls
???   I don't have vgetty configured on my system.  I basically just
installed the mgetty+sendfax rpm is all.  Nevertheless, I'd not expect
to hear fax tones if hylafax had "deduced" it was a voice call.  I was
hoping to simply see a log entry for a voice call, and no fax answer
attempted.

>> Furthermore, just by luck, it appears Hylafax adds another two rings
>> for the ring count for the voice number, while not for the fax number
>> ( Guess - because I am using Caller ID and the Caller ID information
>> disrupts the counting of the rings? )
>

> Actually, if you've set RingFax or RingVoice then those will get
> counted as "RINGs", and that may be why the counting is "off".

The results I reported were without any entries for RingVoice or
RingData.   I think I tried it both with and without RingFax and didn't
see any difference.

>> I am hoping this will work well with another process vgetty, to
>> answer the voice line before Faxgetty gets the chance to answer the
>> line.   (It will work best if vgetty counts the rings "better" ).
>

> You can't run two gettys on the same modem at the same time without
> problems.  Are you using two modems with the phone line connected to
> them both?

I have only one modem.
Ahh, you're right.  Faxgetty locks the modem after receiving the ring,
not after answering.  I might need two modems, after all.  :-(

> I believe that vgetty understands DRON/DROFF these days.

The good thing is that if this worked I'd get the desired behavior:  fax
calls answered in less than two rings, voice calls in more than 5 rings.
 But alas,  I just can't get hylafax to understand...

George