[hylafax-users] Conclusion: Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

Through several sessions with minicom and my cell-phone, I have found
that the ring patterns reported by the modem for the fax number, with
AT+VDR=1,1 , are(with perhaps exceptions at the very begining and
excluding any caller id information)

DRON=8
RING
DRON=4
DRON=8
RING
DROF=40

repeat....

While for my normal voice number

DRON=20
RING
DROF=40

repeat...

As stated in my ealier post, I could not directly make use of the
Distinctive Ring Report feature of the multitech modem in Hylafax to
route the calls.  However, I could take advantage of the fact that with
AT+VDR=1,0 or 1,1 the "RING" signals occur twice as frequently for the
fax number as for the voice number.  ( I doubt that tweaking the second
parameter(0-255) would help much since it just increases the delay
between the first ring signal and the  report).    This means that a
call from a fax number becomes answered in less time than from a voice
number, for the same amount of rings.   Note this only works with
AT+VDR=1,0.  If the default AT+VDR=0,0 is used, then the frequencies are
the same.   Furthermore, just by luck, it appears Hylafax adds another
two rings for the ring count for the voice number, while not for the fax
number ( Guess - because I am using Caller ID and the Caller ID
information disrupts the counting of the rings? )  Anyway, I found a
value of "RingsBeforeAnswer" = 4 optimal.  Fax calls get answered in
less than two voice ring times, while voice calls aren't answered until
9 rings!    I found some more data on this:

RingsBeforeAnswer = 4      Actual No of Voice Phone rings before ATA:  7
                                      6
                                                 9

I am hoping this will work well with another process vgetty, to answer
the voice line before Faxgetty gets the chance to answer the line.   (It
will work best if vgetty counts the rings "better" ).  Anyway, I'll see
about that part tomorrow.

George