Re: [hylafax-users] Conclusion: Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

On 2003.05.20 15:09 George Bell wrote:
> Through several sessions with minicom and my cell-phone, I have found
> that the ring patterns reported by the modem for the fax number,
> with  AT+VDR=1,1 , are(with perhaps exceptions at the very begining
> and excluding any caller id information)
>
> DRON=8
> RING
> DRON=4
> DRON=8
> RING
> DROF=40
>
> repeat....
>
> While for my normal voice number
>
> DRON=20
> RING
> DROF=40
>
> repeat...

Given that "DRON=8" only ever appears on fax calls, you *should* be
able to do this to make it work:

You could set:

RingsBeforeAnswer:  4 # for caller-id reception
RingFax:  "DRON=8" # this becomes "RING" to faxgetty

and *don't* set RingVoice or faxgetty will attempt to answer it and
hand it off to egetty or something that is probably not installed on
your system.

I think that you mentioned trying this with problems, but it *should*
work.

> Furthermore, just by luck, it appears Hylafax adds another two rings
> for the ring count for the voice number, while not for the fax number
> ( Guess - because I am using Caller ID and the Caller ID information
> disrupts the counting of the rings? )

Actually, if you've set RingFax or RingVoice then those will get
counted as "RINGs", and that may be why the counting is "off".

> I am hoping this will work well with another process vgetty, to
> answer the voice line before Faxgetty gets the chance to answer the
> line.   (It will work best if vgetty counts the rings "better" ).

You can't run two gettys on the same modem at the same time without
problems.  Are you using two modems with the phone line connected to
them both?

I believe that vgetty understands DRON/DROFF these days.

You'll likely have a tough time trying to get vgetty and faxgetty
playing nicely together on the same modem.  Good luck!  I ended up
having a little "switching" script which I call manually... but I don't
have distinctive ring.

Lee.