Re: [hylafax-users] Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

Lee Howard wrote:

> On 2003.05.20 07:54 George Bell wrote:
>
>> Just spent about a day trying to get hylafax working with my single
>> phone line.  It is provisioned with a second phone number via
>> distinctive ring.  My results:
>>
>> *$!@! Modem(Multitech MTS5634ZPX-PCI-V92) seems only implements the
>> following Voice commands:
>>
>> +VCID  ( caller id )
>> +VDR   ( distinctive ring report )
>>
>> The distinctive ring comes as two short rings as compared to a
>> regular voice ring.  These are reported by +VDR as DRON=8 and
>> DROFF=variable(I have seen go from 8 - 40 in tenths of a second).
>> Well, it apears the Multitech modem won't give me a RING1 or RING2,
>> as I had hoped.  It just gives me this fricken distinctive ring report.
>

> I realize that this must be frustrating.  However, do not blame
> MultiTech for this because you'd see the same behavior with all
> Agere/Lucent-based modems (Zoom, Digi, etc.), not just MultiTechs.
> The problem is with HylaFAX not supporting the DRON/DROFF features
> which are now a *standard* format for reporting distinctive ring.
> Modems have just recently begun supporting this standard, so it's not
> surprising that HylaFAX doesn't yet.  mgetty just barely started
> supporting this itself (for comparison).

Well then, phooey on the Lucent chipsets then!   How many pennies per
modem did they save by omission of such a feature?  Don't the Zyxel
modems perform well in this regard?

>> So, I tried to use that. I noticed that whenever a call comes in on
>> the fax number the VDR reports DRON=8, so I tried entering a
>> RingFax:    "DRON=8" in my config.ttySN file, but hylafax isn't
>> buying it.  So the VDR feature seems useless.
>>
>> I have RingsBefore Answer set to "2".  Hylafax will answer the call
>> in two rings if the fax number is called as entered in the config
>> file. However, when I dial in on my regular voice number, HylaFax
>> answers the call about 4 rings later, still as fax(of course).
>> Although that's fine, I seem to have no control over this parameter
>> or how to use it for anything.
>>
>> Any Ideas?
>

> I'd tend to believe that you'll have a hard time getting this to work
> by "toying" with configuration prameters.  I'm guessing that this will
> require actual code development.  In other words, someone is going to
> need to do programming work.  There are many programmers for hire, I'm
> sure.  If you don't have a favorite, try hylafax-devel or iFax.
>
> Lee.

Yes, that  seems to be the only true solution.
I would imagine that the hylafax developers will eventually take note of
this and incorporate the DRON,DROFF methods of ring detection in future
releases.

George