Re: [hylafax-users] Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

On 2003.05.20 07:54 George Bell wrote:
> Just spent about a day trying to get hylafax working with my single
> phone line.  It is provisioned with a second phone number via
> distinctive ring.  My results:
>
> *$!@! Modem(Multitech MTS5634ZPX-PCI-V92) seems only implements the
> following Voice commands:
>
> +VCID  ( caller id )
> +VDR   ( distinctive ring report )
>
> The distinctive ring comes as two short rings as compared to a
> regular voice ring.  These are reported by +VDR as DRON=8 and
> DROFF=variable(I have seen go from 8 - 40 in tenths of a second).
> Well, it apears the Multitech modem won't give me a RING1 or RING2,
> as I had hoped.  It just gives me this fricken distinctive ring
> report.

I realize that this must be frustrating.  However, do not blame
MultiTech for this because you'd see the same behavior with all
Agere/Lucent-based modems (Zoom, Digi, etc.), not just MultiTechs.  The
problem is with HylaFAX not supporting the DRON/DROFF features which
are now a *standard* format for reporting distinctive ring.  Modems
have just recently begun supporting this standard, so it's not
surprising that HylaFAX doesn't yet.  mgetty just barely started
supporting this itself (for comparison).

> So, I tried to use that. I noticed that whenever a call comes in on
> the fax number the VDR reports DRON=8, so I tried entering a
> RingFax:    "DRON=8" in my config.ttySN file, but hylafax isn't
> buying it.  So the VDR feature seems useless.
>
> I have RingsBefore Answer set to "2".  Hylafax will answer the call
> in two rings if the fax number is called as entered in the config
> file. However, when I dial in on my regular voice number, HylaFax
> answers the call about 4 rings later, still as fax(of course).
> Although that's fine, I seem to have no control over this parameter
> or how to use it for anything.
>
> Any Ideas?

I'd tend to believe that you'll have a hard time getting this to work
by "toying" with configuration prameters.  I'm guessing that this will
require actual code development.  In other words, someone is going to
need to do programming work.  There are many programmers for hire, I'm
sure.  If you don't have a favorite, try hylafax-devel or iFax.

Lee.