Re: [hylafax-users] Conclusion: Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

On 2003.05.20 17:25 George Bell wrote:
> Lee Howard wrote:

>> Given that "DRON=8" only ever appears on fax calls, you *should* be
>> able to do this to make it work:
>>
>> You could set:
>>
>> RingsBeforeAnswer:  4 # for caller-id reception
>> RingFax:  "DRON=8" # this becomes "RING" to faxgetty
>>
>> and *don't* set RingVoice or faxgetty will attempt to answer it and
>> hand it off to egetty or something that is probably not installed on
>> your system.
>
> But if I don't, then what?  Faxgetty already has a lock on the
> modem(see notes further down). True, it would be good enough if all I
> wanted was for a human to answer the phone(and I have tried this - it
> works, the modem won't answer if I answer before the 9 rings) , but
> I'd like to have voicemail.

I've not yet heard of anyone configuring vgetty (the one from
mgetty-sendfax) and faxgetty to play as you're wanting them to... but
honestly I've not tried.  I suspect that data works with mgetty,
however, since others have done that, but I just don't know of a
"vgetty" program that works the way that faxgetty expects it to.  I
don't think that the vgetty from mgetty-sendfax is the right kind of
"vgetty".  I know the documentation indicates that this can be done,
and I suspect it can... but with particular vgetty program available 10
years ago which is probably long since dead and unavailable.  Any getty
that you use in conjunction with faxgetty will need to "accept the
baton (er, handle)" from faxgetty rather than answering the call itself.

>> I think that you mentioned trying this with problems, but it
>> *should* work.
>
> Yes, but it doesn't work.  If I put into my config.ttySn file:
>
> RingFax:          "DRON=8"
> RingVoice:          "RING"

Under no circumstances should RingVoice be set unless you have also
properly configured VGettyArgs and PATHVGETTY (in etc/setup.cache)...
however, I'd not be surprised if HylaFAX misbehaves from the documented
behavior in this regard... no developer that I know has distinctive
ring.

> I receive a fax tone on my cell phone in both cases.  The hylafax
> documentation appears to indicate that what is supposed to happen is
> : a vgetty process is to be invoked to handle the call, because it
> has "deduced" that the call is a voice call.

I think the design is to execute the program in PATHVGETTY with the
arguments in VGettyArgs.

> *But* this is interesting: in the logs a caller id is recorded for
> voice calls, but not fax calls ???

It's logged/not-logged where in the logs?  A modem response?  Or the
faxgetty "ANSWER" log?

> I don't have vgetty configured on my system.  I basically just
> installed the mgetty+sendfax rpm is all.  Nevertheless, I'd not
> expect to hear fax tones if hylafax had "deduced" it was a voice call.

faxgetty normally believes that it can deal with all calls since
"adaptive answer" was more generally supported I believe than
"distinctive ring"... so it's not surprising that faxgetty answers with
fax tones since the ATA command may include an AT+FCLASS=1 command also.

> The good thing is that if this worked I'd get the desired behavior:

It would be good if most things worked and we got the desired behavior.
;-)

Lee.