Re: [hylafax-users] Conclusion: Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

* Lee Howard <faxguy@howardsilvan.com> [030520 20:51]:

> >But if I don't, then what?  Faxgetty already has a lock on the
> >modem(see notes further down). True, it would be good enough if all I
> >wanted was for a human to answer the phone(and I have tried this - it
> >works, the modem won't answer if I answer before the 9 rings) , but
> >I'd like to have voicemail.
>
> I've not yet heard of anyone configuring vgetty (the one from
> mgetty-sendfax) and faxgetty to play as you're wanting them to... but
> honestly I've not tried.  I suspect that data works with mgetty,
> however, since others have done that, but I just don't know of a
> "vgetty" program that works the way that faxgetty expects it to.  I
> don't think that the vgetty from mgetty-sendfax is the right kind of
> "vgetty".  I know the documentation indicates that this can be done,
> and I suspect it can... but with particular vgetty program available 10
> years ago which is probably long since dead and unavailable.  Any getty
> that you use in conjunction with faxgetty will need to "accept the
> baton (er, handle)" from faxgetty rather than answering the call itself.

Back in the days, probably almost 10 years ago, I had HylaFAX's faxgetty
working using a vgetty to make my old rockwell an answering machine, but
letting me issue faxanswer when I knew it was a fax.

That was many computers ago, so I know from experience that it works,
but for the life of me, I can't find what vgetty program I used.

Sorry I can't give the solution...

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,

PGP signature