Re: [hylafax-users] Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

On 2003.05.21 01:46 john andrews wrote:

> Being new to the world of faxing (2 weeks) I decided to go with
> hylafax
> (rather than the alternatives EFax or mgetty) because hylafax seemed
> to be
> more actively developed and 'enterprise ready'. In the light of the
> comments
> above is this analysis correct?

As for active fax development, yes.  HylaFAX is generally more actively
developed than efax or mgetty's fax side.  efax gets very little
development at all these days, it seems... 0.9a has been the "latest
development release" since November 2000.

Both efax and mgetty approach faxing differently than HylaFAX,
however.  mgetty supports Class 2 only in MH (1D-MR) only.  It does
this because it tries to find the "lowest common denominator" for all
modems to work reliably.  efax is similar, except that it does Class 1
and MR also.  In each of these two packages the goal seems to be "turn
your computer into a fax machine".  There is no client-server protocol
(although Gert, of mgetty, desires to implement this), and really no
ambition to support "extended" features such as polling, V.34, MMR,
ECM, superfine resolution (although Gert also has considered this),
batch faxing, etc.  Thus, they'd take quite a bit of building-up to get
to a level where HylaFAX is for enterprise use.

As I tried to say there's considerable apathy when it comes to fax
software development with almost all software and firmware.  There are
a few exceptions to this, of course.  HylaFAX is being developed,
unlike efax, and mostly unlike mgetty's faxing (the latest developments
in that arena there were to support new Lucent-based hardware and to
fix a queue security vulnerability).  MultiTech is developing their
firmware... although sometimes not at a pace to even match HylaFAX
development.  BrookTrout and Eicon and perhaps a few others are also
developing their products, but again, it always seems like energy these
days is more focused on data and voice support than fax.

If you want a perfect example of fax development apathy, try bringing
up a Class 2.0 firmware bug up with 3Com/USR.  I have.  ;-)

So no, HylaFAX development is not stale, but there still is
considerable apathy that it simply inherits from the rest of the
universe for merely being fax-related.  Why do you think that SGI gave
up the project ten years ago?  Why do you think, with its permissive
license, that no other entity has tried to "run with it"?

Lee.