Re: [hylafax-users] Damn! Hylafax, Multitech, and distinctive ring

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 04:46, john andrews wrote:
> Being new to the world of faxing (2 weeks) I decided to go with hylafax
> (rather than the alternatives EFax or mgetty) because hylafax seemed to be
> more actively developed and 'enterprise ready'. In the light of the comments
> above is this analysis correct?

firstly, welcome!  The more the merrier.

How do Lee's soapbox comments change your analysis?  While Lee may have
been talking specifically about HylaFAX, his comments can pretty much go
for any OpenSource/Free-Software project.  Work gets done when someone
has a need to have it done.

Last night I read an interview with the SAMBA project creator.  The
interviewer asked why some features of SMB still aren't implemented and
others appeared years after they did in Windows.  SAMBA's maintainer
replied that there wasn't enough demand for those features so no one has
done the work yet.  His response doesn't make SAMBA less useful to me
and my customers today however.  If I *really* need one of the missing
features I should be prepared to either (1) do the work to add the
features myself or (2) fund someone else to do the work to add the
features.

That's a basic fact of Free Software.  Actually, it's a fact of software
in general but in the proprietary world you usually have no choice of
vendor for (2) above and you cannot choose (1) by definition.

In the end, use what works for you.  I've found HylaFAX to be very good
software for my uses.  I think your analysis is correct and Lee's
comments should have no bearing on the outcome of your analysis.

enjoy!

-joe