Re: [hylafax-users] called-number ID

"Jay R. Ashworth" wrote:

> > The 2 fax lines are the sticking point.  I am talking with Adtran, which
> > makes a CSU/DSU that can take an ISDN PRI and split out 4 ISDN/BRI
> > pairs.  I want to send a block of phone numbers to one pair of ISDN/BRI
> > lines and attach a Digi ISDN fax board.  Digi tells me that they support
> > called-number ID (MSN); the telco (which supplies the Adtran) says that
> > that is impossible, cannot be done, etc.  1/2 the tech support people at
> > Adtran say it's easy, the other half say it cannot be done.
> >
> > The whole purpose is to have, say, 20 phone incoming numbers routed to
> > the fax, have the fax distinguish which number was dialed, and email the
> > fax to that recipient.
> >
> > It sounds simple, it's done a lot, but I have one of the worst phone
> > companies around, and they don't seem to understand this concept at all.
>
> Have you said "DID" to them?  How about "DNIS"?

I will have DID on the PRI.  I have not tried chanting "DNIS"; I'll try
that start of business Monday.  The DID is the root of all my problems;
I want 20 DID numbers sent to that ISDN/BRI interface, and have the ISDN
TA know which DID number made that line ring.

> Those are the two most common names for that service, and quite
> decidedly they should be able to supply it over a PRI.

The problem is not supplying it over the PRI; that they can do.  The
problem is that once I split a BRI off teh PRI, then what happens to the
DID number?  That's what no one can tell me.

 Talk to an
> "applications engineer" or a "special services" person, if you can find
> one.  Find out what kind of switch you have, too; you can likely find
> someone on comp.dcom.telecom.tech who can tell you what to tell them.
>
> Which telco is this, anyway?

Sprint/United, currently ranking about 2,956th on my list of people to
get telco services from.

--Yan