Re: [hylafax-users] called-number ID

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 05:25:24AM -0400, Yan Seiner wrote:
> I am in the US.  Right now, I am using a single analog line, but I'm
> negotiationg with my telco about getting an ISDN PRI line, so I can
> accomodate 15 voice, 6 data, and 2 fax lines.
>
> The 2 fax lines are the sticking point.  I am talking with Adtran, which
> makes a CSU/DSU that can take an ISDN PRI and split out 4 ISDN/BRI
> pairs.  I want to send a block of phone numbers to one pair of ISDN/BRI
> lines and attach a Digi ISDN fax board.  Digi tells me that they support
> called-number ID (MSN); the telco (which supplies the Adtran) says that
> that is impossible, cannot be done, etc.  1/2 the tech support people at
> Adtran say it's easy, the other half say it cannot be done.
>
> The whole purpose is to have, say, 20 phone incoming numbers routed to
> the fax, have the fax distinguish which number was dialed, and email the
> fax to that recipient.
>
> It sounds simple, it's done a lot, but I have one of the worst phone
> companies around, and they don't seem to understand this concept at all.

Have you said "DID" to them?  How about "DNIS"?

Those are the two most common names for that service, and quite
decidedly they should be able to supply it over a PRI.  Talk to an
"applications engineer" or a "special services" person, if you can find
one.  Find out what kind of switch you have, too; you can likely find
someone on comp.dcom.telecom.tech who can tell you what to tell them.

Which telco is this, anyway?

Cheers,
-- jra

   "So easy to use, no wonder the Internet is going to hell!"
     -- me