Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax and Comtrol RocketModemIII

On 2005.01.20 15:18 Rubin Bennett wrote:

As what I feared seems to be the case, and this is a fairly
deep-in-the-firmware Modem issue, I sent a follow up to my post on the
Comtrol forum that included your response, with a polite inquiry about
a timeframe for a fix.  I also mentioned that without said fix in a
prompt
manner (like, days, not weeks or months), I would be demanding a
refund of my purchase of the RMIII board.

I'm always happy to provide technical analysis of hardware and stuff, but I try to stay out of squabbles between end-users and manufacturers. I don't want to appear to take a side on what should or shouldn't be done in any particular case. I'm sure that Comtrol is working on the problems. The pace wasn't exactly fast enough for me, though, which is why I replaced the RMIII board. However, I'm sure that someday they will have the problem fixed. Part of the matter is that faxing is usually such a low priority for manufacturers that they don't address fax problems very quickly.

Usually end-users should look to their vendors for return procedures and policies. Usually an end-user will have better luck at returns with the vendor from whom they purchased the equipment than with the manufacturer directly (unless the unit was purchased directly from the manufacturer).

Here's hoping we get a fix sooner
than later...  I'm hoping that my post will result in a few "me too"
posts and Comtrol will be essentially forced to lean on Conexant (whom
we all love and adore in the Linux world... not) and get the issue
resolved.

Although the RMIII uses Conexant chipsets, the DSP provider is not Conexant. I'd have to look it up who it is, but I know that it's not Conexant.

And, although I'm not particularly a Conexant fan, they (well, at least a former employee of thiers) did contribute some code to HylaFAX, so they're not all bad.

Lee.