Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax and Comtrol RocketModemIII

On 2005.01.20 10:47 Rubin Bennett wrote:
Hello all,
I'm experiencing a rather unpleasant issue with an installation I
recently upgraded of Hylafax.

The backstory:  Client has a system with Mandrake 9.2 (upgraded a few
times over the years), HylaFax 4.1.5 and a Comtrol RocketModemII 8
port
ISA modem board.  They're been happily receiving faxes through a 4
line
hunt group for nearly 3 years.

The server that they're running is old and tired, and so I built a new
server for them with Mandrakelinux 10.1, HylaFax 4.2.0 a
RocketModemIII
PCI 4 port card (I had no issues with the old board; so if it ain't
broke...).

I have used many RocketModem and RocketModem II cards in HylaFAX servers over the last few years. I also beta-tested the RocketModem III card just before it was released by Comtrol.

Comtrol changed their DSP provider, though, for the RocketModem III cards. The technology is technically superior to that of the older RocketModems, but hardware/firmware technology isn't a big deal for faxing, especially in Class 1. So it's fair to look at the RocketModem II as a continuation of the RocketModem, but the RocketModem III isn't exactly a clear continuation of the RocketModem II.

I tested the RocketModem III in-house on a development server for probably two months. I did report some problems to Comtrol, but they weren't serious, if I remember correctly. Everything seemed to be fine.

Comtrol had been encouraging me to move the card into production use, so at the next opportunity (which was probably three or four months later, after the product released) I did deploy it into production use into a new P4 server with an Intel chipsetted motherboard (my development box has a PIII with a VIA chipset). No sooner had I done this when I started having lots of problems. I tried switching from Class 1 to Class 2 but problems persisted, only looking different. I saw lots of "Failed to properly detect high speed data carrier". Also, from time-to-time the modems would lock up and require a reboot to reset them.

I ended up putting an external modem, a Hayes Accura onto the first line of the hunt group (pulling the line out of the RocketModem III). Since most of the faxes came in on that line, virtually all of the problems went a way. I did some testing between the RocketModem III and the Hayes that I hadn't been able to do in-house at that time (due to the RM III requiring it to be connected to a telco/PBX for functionality - you can't send faxes between ports with just a cable between them). It turns out that there was some bizarre incompatibility between the modulators on the RMIII (Conexant chipset) and the Hayes (Rockwell chipset) which prevented one of them from sending to the other (I don't remember right now which direction was the problem).

In any case, I reported all of these problems to Comtrol, we e-mailed back and forth a bit with various testing, and in the end it seems like the fix needed to come from the DSP. After about 3 months, maybe more, I did get some new firmware to test, but the problems didn't go away. So, as it looked like it was going to take an extremely long time to get it things fixed, I replaced the RMIII and Hayes with a RocketModem II, and I haven't had any problems since then.

I haven't really been able to determine why things were so bad. I was thinking that maybe it was a combination of the RM III and the particular motherboard chipset that I had going on that production server. But I have heard reports from others here that they have also had problems with the RM III.

During the time I was working with it I was able to notice that the RMIII always corrupts transmitted modulated data at regular intervals (it was like every 90 ms or something like that). So it seemed like something deep within the DSP was messing with stuff. This didn't explain the receiving problems, but I had hoped that it was enough to indicate a common problem.

However, when I cut over to the new server/ board combo, we started
experiencing lots of t.30 02 timeouts/ "Failed to properly detect high
speed data carrier" when running the modems in Class1 mode.  I then
changed the modems to run as class2, and instead of getting timeouts
or
data carrier errors, I get "normal and proper end of communications",
and incoming faxes fail.

I seem to be experiencing this issue with about 10-15% of the incoming
faxes; there are some senders who are not able to fax to us at all.

That sounds very familiar to the percentage of problems I was seeing with mine.

Of
course, Murphy's law being what it is, every sending Fax machine I've
been able to get my hands on works flawlessly... arrgh.

I was able to reproduce some of the problems, but nothing that I ever did made a difference. It certainly didn't seem like something that I could fix or work around.

Does anyone out there have any light to shed on this?  I can send my
modem configs from both servers if that would help.  I'm hoping that
someone will take pity on me and give me a quick answer, because my
client is fairly testy about this issue (they pretty much run their
business by their incoming Faxes).

I did search the archives for anything to do with the errors I'm
seeing
and found a couple of hits, but nothing that screamed "here's the
problem".  I've spent over a day mucking about with various iterations
of my modem configs, to no avail.  I've also sent Comtrol mail about
this, as there were some notes on their support forums that looked
suspiciously similar to what I'm seeing.

For what it's worth, I don't think this is a HylaFax issue per se, but
I'm hoping that one of you gurus will know a workaround i can put in
my
modem config files.

The best that I could suggest to you would be to try a VIA chipsetted motherboard (Apollo Pro Plus or better, since PCI v2.1 is required). If that doesn't work, then you may need to look at a different modem, unfortunately.

Lee.