[hylafax-users] Hylafax and Comtrol RocketModemIII

Hello all,
I'm experiencing a rather unpleasant issue with an installation I
recently upgraded of Hylafax.

The backstory:  Client has a system with Mandrake 9.2 (upgraded a few
times over the years), HylaFax 4.1.5 and a Comtrol RocketModemII 8 port
ISA modem board.  They're been happily receiving faxes through a 4 line
hunt group for nearly 3 years.

The server that they're running is old and tired, and so I built a new
server for them with Mandrakelinux 10.1, HylaFax 4.2.0 a RocketModemIII
PCI 4 port card (I had no issues with the old board; so if it ain't
broke...).

However, when I cut over to the new server/ board combo, we started
experiencing lots of t.30 02 timeouts/ "Failed to properly detect high
speed data carrier" when running the modems in Class1 mode.  I then
changed the modems to run as class2, and instead of getting timeouts or
data carrier errors, I get "normal and proper end of communications",
and incoming faxes fail.

I seem to be experiencing this issue with about 10-15% of the incoming
faxes; there are some senders who are not able to fax to us at all.  Of
course, Murphy's law being what it is, every sending Fax machine I've
been able to get my hands on works flawlessly... arrgh.

Does anyone out there have any light to shed on this?  I can send my
modem configs from both servers if that would help.  I'm hoping that
someone will take pity on me and give me a quick answer, because my
client is fairly testy about this issue (they pretty much run their
business by their incoming Faxes).

I did search the archives for anything to do with the errors I'm seeing
and found a couple of hits, but nothing that screamed "here's the
problem".  I've spent over a day mucking about with various iterations
of my modem configs, to no avail.  I've also sent Comtrol mail about
this, as there were some notes on their support forums that looked
suspiciously similar to what I'm seeing.

For what it's worth, I don't think this is a HylaFax issue per se, but
I'm hoping that one of you gurus will know a workaround i can put in my
modem config files.

Thanks very much in advance...
Rubin
--
Rubin Bennett
RB Technologies

temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety"
  --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759