David, Christoph, thank you everybody for help

      David, Christoph, thank you everybody for help.
I got HylaFAX running with outstanding quality, hardware flow
control and 2D. The problem was in
/dev/modem used as symbolic link to ttyS0. What confused me
significantly is that etc/config.ttyS0 was never actually used,
so somehow HylaFAX was getting default parameters and did
not report anywhere that actual config is missing.

I'll try to communicate this to Red Hat HylaFAX HOWTO (which
is a bit misleading :).

     Thank you again,

      Michael Kremliovsky