Re: back with the problem

>    David, I feel help! I'll make sure tomorrow (it's night here in
> California)
> that I follow your recommendations. I really don't think that /dev/modem
> interfere
> with anything, I already changed cua0 to ttyS0 with exactly the same
> output.

You can't do these things blindly; it is more important that everything
uses the same standard than that you use any one particular standard.

> > > Jun 10 22:02:09 e FaxGetty[24830]: ANSWER: Can not lock modem device
> >
> > This is the normal situation for a (non-Hylafax originated?) outgoing call.
>    There is nothing, but HylaFAX on this modem. Also this is a server
>    type machine (PS/2 mouse) and none of serial ports are used
>    (well, _should not_ be used, except modem :)

non-Hylafax was in brackets becasue it may well be than a Hylafax send produces
the same result.

> > > Jun 10 22:01:41 e FaxGetty[24830]: OPEN /dev/modem
> >
> > This is even more likely to cause problems then cua0, as it is very likely
> > that there is something referencing cua0 (or ttyS0) rather than /dev/modem.
> > If you were using a non plug and play version of Linux, I would say delete
> > /dev/modem and reconfigure everything to use /dev/ttyS0.
>     I just followed RedHat Linux HOWTO for HylaFAX, it said to make
>     a link /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS0... I can certainly remove it

I suggest that you take up your problems with whoever created your RPM.

> > Your session log indicates that you sent nothing at all; please turn up the
> > logging level to that seen in other articles on this list and resubmit.
>     I put SessionTracing 47 in etc/config.ttyS0, but nothing has changed
> in
>     log/c...... file. Am I missing something?

If 47 is full tracing, you must be missing something as you will get a lot
more than you posted to the list if the modem actually manages to transmit
an even garbled fax.

>     The last modem I got is on the list of the best recommended modems
>     (Multi-modem 2834) and it should work with hardware flow control
> using
>     default configuration (I had it in rpm distribution), I thought that

Again, if you can only work from RPM's, please get your support from the
RPM author.

>     if it works for everybody, it will work for me too :)
>     However, I have no idea whether I used
>     right cable and how could I possibly create loop back. Everything is
>     standard, RJ-45 going from a modem's "line" connector to a wall...

You create loopbacks in the data cable, not the phone cable.  Typically
a cross connect from pin 4 to pin 5 on a 25 pin connector would break
hardware flow control.  This used to be a very common practice for
people who didn't want to spend the time configuring things properly,
and when interfaces often didn't support modem controls properly.

>     I'll try to switch flow control though I did it before already with

Note that many modems only support software flow control when in fax mode.

>     no change (for USR V.Everything, now dismissed :)
>     It just occurred to me that I may have noise level not adjusted for
>     the modem, I saw something about this in docs...
>     I'll appreciate any comments you may have.

You will get corrupt faxes if you have a noisy line, but there is no
indication that you are not in the USA, and I would think it would be
difficult to get such a bad line in the USA.   In any case, the transmission
would probably fail much earlier if the line was that bad.