Re: back with the problem

   David, I feel help! I'll make sure tomorrow (it's night here in
California)
that I follow your recommendations. I really don't think that /dev/modem
interfere
with anything, I already changed cua0 to ttyS0 with exactly the same
output.

> > Jun 10 22:02:09 e FaxGetty[24830]: ANSWER: Can not lock modem device
>
> This is the normal situation for a (non-Hylafax originated?) outgoing call.
   There is nothing, but HylaFAX on this modem. Also this is a server
   type machine (PS/2 mouse) and none of serial ports are used
   (well, _should not_ be used, except modem :)

> > Jun 10 22:01:41 e FaxGetty[24830]: OPEN /dev/modem
>
> This is even more likely to cause problems then cua0, as it is very likely
> that there is something referencing cua0 (or ttyS0) rather than /dev/modem.
> If you were using a non plug and play version of Linux, I would say delete
> /dev/modem and reconfigure everything to use /dev/ttyS0.
    I just followed RedHat Linux HOWTO for HylaFAX, it said to make
    a link /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS0... I can certainly remove it

> Your session log indicates that you sent nothing at all; please turn up the
> logging level to that seen in other articles on this list and resubmit.
    I put SessionTracing 47 in etc/config.ttyS0, but nothing has changed
in
    log/c...... file. Am I missing something?

> > transmitted ok, text is shifted and smashed. I have tried tif file
> > as well. Could only read one line out 25 with very bad quality.
>
> Sounds like a flow control problem.  If not that, a modem hardware problem.
> Check that you are sending the correct flow control setup sequence to the
> modem, that it supports your choice of hardware v software flow control when
> in fax mode, and, if you are using hardware flow control, that you have a
> properly wired cable (e.g. no loop backs).
    The last modem I got is on the list of the best recommended modems
    (Multi-modem 2834) and it should work with hardware flow control
using
    default configuration (I had it in rpm distribution), I thought that
    if it works for everybody, it will work for me too :)
    However, I have no idea whether I used
    right cable and how could I possibly create loop back. Everything is
    standard, RJ-45 going from a modem's "line" connector to a wall...
    Also I have tried several different lines to make sure that I do not
    have line problems.

    I'll try to switch flow control though I did it before already with
    no change (for USR V.Everything, now dismissed :)
    It just occurred to me that I may have noise level not adjusted for
    the modem, I saw something about this in docs...
    I'll appreciate any comments you may have.

    Thank you, Michael