Re: French Characters

> I need to have Ghostscript french characters in Linux.  Do i need fonts? If
> so, where do I get them?  I've have tore up the net just looking for a

The fonts will normally contain all of the ISO 8859/1 characters that you
need for French, but the default encoding for Postscript fonts does not
map these to character codes.  If you use an ISO 8859/1 aware program, I
would expect it to include an appropriate alternative encoding, but some
simple tools may not do this.

The textfmt utility in hylafax has a parameter to invoke this encoding, and
it is on by default.

Certain tools may require that you escape the characters to avoid top
bit set characters in the data.

Hylafax's default typerules will consider text containing 8 bit characters
to be binary and reject it rather than pass it to textfmt.