Re: [hylafax-users] Resizing tiff images for faxing

Actually, submitting a TIFF file to Hylafax will result
in an automatic resizing.  The TIFF file is first examined
with a program called tiffcheck and is then resized if necessary.
Have a look at the bash script tiff2fax in the SPOOL/bin
directory to see how this works.

For the best quality faxes, however, I prefer to do all
the processing myself.  To resize your TIFF file, I would
recommend the following procedure that is implemented with
the NETPBM tools:

tifftopnm 1.tif |
pnmscale -xsize 1728 -ysize 2291 |
pgmtopbm |
pnmtotiff -g3 -rowsperstrip 2156 > 1cf.tif

The entire sequence can be written on one line.  The "|"
character is a pipe that connects all outputs.

Of course, if you are scanning with SANE, you can produce
a PNM file as the original to skip the first conversion
step.

For this procedure to work best, I would scan with at least 400dpi.
The resize step can sometimes result in a lowering of quality
from the original when beginning with 200dpi.

I use this procedure with SANE all the time and I get
excellent results.

Frank Peters