Re: [hylafax-users] Resizing tiff images for faxing

Frank Peters wrote:

> Actually, submitting a TIFF file to Hylafax will result
> in an automatic resizing.  The TIFF file is first examined
> with a program called tiffcheck and is then resized if necessary.
> Have a look at the bash script tiff2fax in the SPOOL/bin
> directory to see how this works.

 That, for a change, I did know :) The reason why I asked the question
was because HylaFAX had started throwing up errors, (due to ghostscript),
when trying to do the conversion. That is why I was trying all the
variations of the tiff2fax conversion by hand, to see if I could find
where the problem was.

 Between libtiff and gs, they are an evil duet :)

> For the best quality faxes, however, I prefer to do all
> the processing myself.  To resize your TIFF file, I would
> recommend the following procedure that is implemented with
> the NETPBM tools:
>
> tifftopnm 1.tif |
> pnmscale -xsize 1728 -ysize 2291 |
> pgmtopbm |
> pnmtotiff -g3 -rowsperstrip 2156 > 1cf.tif
>
> The entire sequence can be written on one line.  The "|"
> character is a pipe that connects all outputs.
>
> Of course, if you are scanning with SANE, you can produce
> a PNM file as the original to skip the first conversion
> step.
>
> For this procedure to work best, I would scan with at least 400dpi.
> The resize step can sometimes result in a lowering of quality
> from the original when beginning with 200dpi.
>
> I use this procedure with SANE all the time and I get
> excellent results.

 Now that is music to my ears. I've been trying to skirt around
ghostscript for sometime, (excepting the required necessity), due to its
lack of robustness, with regards to the preprocessing and the majority of
general processing.
 Thanks ever so much for your help with this one. This problem has been
bugging the hell out of me for the past week

 Once again, thanks ever so much.

All the best,

Matt