Re: [hylafax-users] Resizing tiff images for faxing

Let me restate the NETPBM commands that are
appropriate for A4 paper size.  I am used to
dealing with NA Letter size and I got the numbers
wrong:

tifftopnm 1.tif |
pnmscale -xsize 1728 -ysize 2291 |
pgmtopbm |
pnmtotiff -g3:1d -rowsperstrip 2291 > 1cf.tif

The rowsperstrip option is important or HylaFAX
tiffcheck will complain.

Use viewfax to examine the result, which is ready
for faxing.

This procedure works well on the file that you
provided, 1.tif, but using viewfax to examine
the resulting file, there appears to be a loss
of quality.  That's why I would suggest scanning
at 400dpi and then resizing.

Incidentally, if you are preparing TIFF files
for faxing, it would be a good idea to always
run tiffcheck to be sure that they are acceptable
to HylaFAX.  Consult the man page.

Frank Peters