Re: [hylafax-users] Can`t fax from clients ("CAPI not installed")

Am 2004.11.21 17:36 schrieb(en) Tim Boneko:

BTW /dev/capi20 belongs to root:dialout, permissions 660. I am member
of group dialout.

That seems to be the problem I mentioned.

Probably dialout is not your primary group but a supplementary group. If you login you are a member of all supplementary groups and can access /dev/capi20 because you are in dialout.

Buggy versions of Hylafax do not set supplementary groups. If the process is supposed to run as "you" it only has your UID and primary GID, but is not a member of dialout. In this case it cannot access / dev/capi20.

I'm no longer sure this problem is fixed in current Debian packages. According to hylafax-server's maintainer it will be fixed upstream in 4.2.1.

Which version of package hylafax-server do you use?

Bodo