Re: [hylafax-users] expected signal not received

On Fri August 6 2004 5:41 pm, Lee Howard wrote:
> On 2004.08.06 17:20 Stephen Carville wrote:
> > The deal was I had to show hylafax could do the job with what was on
> > hand.  If
> > I can prove it, then teh boss will probably spring for the commercial
> > version
> > which has drivers for the Brooktrout cards I already have.  At the
> > very least
> > he'll buy a Multitech card.
>
> Are the BrookTrout cards analog or digital?  If they are analog explain
> to me what the is the perceived difference between running an analog
> BrookTrout or an analog MultiTech.

The Brooktrout cards are analog.  The only real difference I know of is that
is that I already have three two port Brooktrout cards an I'd have to buy the
Multitech cards.

> > > What error message did the sender see?
> >
> > Dunno.  I'll ask client services Monday for more details.
>
> Oh, I thought you were saying that the sender was telling you that they
> had an error message and this is why you were looking into it.

The sender bitches to Client Services and Client Services bitches to me.  A
bunch of information get lost in the chain.

> > SessionTrackingI know about but where is TracingMask set?
>
> It's an undocumented config option for at least the modem config file.
> But if you don't know about it, then don't worry about it because
> you've got it set right for HDLC tracings.  Just set SessionTracing to
> 0xFFF.
>
> > That's what I figure.  The sender disconnects and the modem gets
> > confued
>
> It almost looks intentional, like the sender intentionally did not send
> a PPS signal.  It calls, delivers, and hangs up.  Some senders will do
> that, but usually they're spam faxers, trying to save toll-time.
>
> > > Is this error frequent?
> >
> > About one out of every 20 faxes.
>
> Are you behind a PBX?

Two lines are a hunt group for an 800 number.  One line is direct from the CO.
The single line get sabout 2/3 of all the faxes but almost all of the errors
(did I mention I inherited this setup?) .   SBC tested the line and claims it
is good.

--
Stephen Carville
Unix and Network Adminstrator