Re: [hylafax-users] Unable to view received faxes (Windows Client)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Lee Howard wrote:

> On 2004.07.19 11:23 Bill Binko wrote:
> > >
> > > You're probably using libtiff 3.6.1.
> >
> > Hey Lee (and Darren),
> >    This is obviously one of the more common problems people are
> > facing: is
> > there any chance we could update the build script and RPM dependencies
> > so
> > that people are warned if they're installing on a machine with an
> > unpatched 3.6.1?
>
> The problem is, though, how do we accurately check for an unpatched
> libtiff 3.6.1 without generating just as many problems?

Well, one approach that's worked in the past is to include in the autoconf
script a test that actually checks the buggy library.  In other words,
include a small C program that triggers the bug, compile, link and run it
and check the output.  In this case, I think this would involve setting up
the appropriate structures and seeing if the dsp gets set correctly
(correct?).

This is a pain, and I don't recommend it for every external bug.  But this
one's causing lots of pain (particularly w/Debian users), and it doesn't
look like a solutions around the corner.

> >    I'm sure Lee's sick of pasting that line by now :)
>
> I just wish that people would take a look at the website (specifically
> the HOWTO) and search the archives before posting questions like that.
> But, by the same token, I don't want to see people spend a lot of
> frustrated time with trying to get HylaFAX working for them, and if
> they don't mind asking FAQ and getting a short answer to it, then I say
> let them.

Agreed: if you stopped the one-liners, we'd all be up a creek :)

Bill