Re: [hylafax-users] Unable to view received faxes (Windows Client)

On 2004.07.19 11:23 Bill Binko wrote:

> You're probably using libtiff 3.6.1.

Hey Lee (and Darren),
   This is obviously one of the more common problems people are
facing: is
there any chance we could update the build script and RPM dependencies
so
that people are warned if they're installing on a machine with an
unpatched 3.6.1?

The problem is, though, how do we accurately check for an unpatched libtiff 3.6.1 without generating just as many problems?

Unfortunately, libtiff hasn't released a 3.6.2, and I don't think that they ever will as I understand their plans to go to v7 with the current libtiff CVS. I think libtiff could take a clue from HylaFAX releases where we will release a previous release plus a patch as a release (a.k.a., 4.1.7, 4.1.8). A 3.6.2 from libtiff would be nice, or even a 3.6.1pl1 or something like that.

So, it's not possible, as far as I'm aware, to screen out unpatched libtiff 3.6.1's and if we were to screen out 3.6.1 completely, then we end up with the problem of blocking people/distributions that have actually patched libtiff. We'd have to include some configure option to "skip the libtiff 3.6.1 check" or something like that. And, by so doing we'd end up generating a lot of questions on that, too. So, it's a matter of answering questions about buggy libtiff or answering questions about disabling HylaFAX's checking for buggy libtiff. It's a rock and a hard place, so to speak.

I'm sure Lee's sick of pasting that line by now :)

I just wish that people would take a look at the website (specifically the HOWTO) and search the archives before posting questions like that. But, by the same token, I don't want to see people spend a lot of frustrated time with trying to get HylaFAX working for them, and if they don't mind asking FAQ and getting a short answer to it, then I say let them.

Lee.