Re: [hylafax-users] Unable to view received faxes (Windows Client)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Lee Howard wrote:

> > On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Lee Howard wrote:
>
> > > The problem is, though, how do we accurately check for an unpatched
> > > libtiff 3.6.1 without generating just as many problems?
> >
> > Well, one approach that's worked in the past is to include in the
> > autoconf
> > script a test that actually checks the buggy library.  In other words,
> > include a small C program that triggers the bug, compile, link and run
> > it
> > and check the output.  In this case, I think this would involve
> > setting up
> > the appropriate structures and seeing if the dsp gets set correctly
> > (correct?).
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "the dsp" getting set correctly.

I was referring to your patch, where the dsp variable is set through your
code, not the DecoderState() macro.  Now that I actually look at the code,
that line won't help detect your patch, as the macro actually does the
same thing.

The idea was not to try to recreate and exercise the bug itself, just to
write a test that checks the presence of the patch whenever we detect
3.6.1.  For example, looking at the second part of your patch, it looks
like it would be possible to:

1) Allocate a TIFF structure (most of its contents are irrelavent)
2) Set its tif_mode so that it is not O_RDONLY and TIFF_NOBITREF is not
set
3) Pass a pointer to that into the function
	int TIFFInitCCITTFax3(TIFF* tif, int scheme)
4) Check to see if the tif_flags now has TIFF_NOBITREF bit set
5) If so it doesn't have your patch.

> Feel free to code this up yourself and hang a patch on Bugzilla ;-)

If you think it would be helpful, I will.  I just thought I'd get your
thoughts on it first.

Bill