Re: [hylafax-users] AS400 FAXING

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 05:56:28AM -0700, Pedro Rocadas wrote:
> > Another solution, that works better (IMHO) than
> > expected is to print to
> > a postscript printer driver,
>
> I'm not sure but I think that the printer drivers that
> came with the OS/400 are all PCL...
Well, then you have a problem ;)
Although PCL is also parseable, I'm not sure if:
a) there are any pcl2text programs available freely, and more
importantly
b) the PCL generated by the drivers creates text via font + text
commands or if it just downloads a rastered image to the printer.

> > and then one extract
> > the ascii text of the
> > fax via ps2ascii (or pstotext) and grep for the
> > faxnumber (and perhaps
> > other infos).
>
> Tricky...and who knows how much garbage AS/400 include
> in the files...
Well, who knows. But I've got it working with a heteragenous Windows
network. It's always fiddling to get it right. (OTOH one needs only
little information from the file, the faxno.)

> > Another way would be to use an
> > email2fax gateway, ...
>
> Have you worked with AS/400 before? :-)
Nope :)

But it must be a good system as it's so much more expensive than a good
Linux server, right? *g*

Andreas