Re: [hylafax-users] AS400 FAXING

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 04:21:48AM -0700, Pedro Rocadas wrote:
> --- "Moschke, Mark" <mmoschke@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've managed to get the AS400 to spit out .tiff
> > files to my hylafax server
> > via APDS.
>
> A brave effort but maybe useless, believe me, I know
> ;-).
>
> > I need to know how to go about "pulling"
> > the fax number from the
> > .tiff file and automatically sending the .tiff file
> > to the intended
> > recipient.
>
> Et voil?, you are stuck. Extracting text from a tiff
> file it's possible but harder, only with OCR software
> and you can imagine how expensive can be such software
> for AS/400 and how poor results you can had using it.
I think Mark meant how to decode the faxnumber as a string
in the tiff file. tiffinfo should display that. But then
the AS/400 must put the faxno in the .tiff in the first
place.

Another solution, that works better (IMHO) than expected is to print to
a postscript printer driver, and then one extract the ascii text of the
fax via ps2ascii (or pstotext) and grep for the faxnumber (and perhaps
other infos). Another way would be to use an email2fax gateway, ...

Andreas