Re: [hylafax-users] AS400 FAXING

--- "Moschke, Mark" <mmoschke@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've managed to get the AS400 to spit out .tiff
> files to my hylafax server
> via APDS.

A brave effort but maybe useless, believe me, I know
;-).

> I need to know how to go about "pulling"
> the fax number from the
> .tiff file and automatically sending the .tiff file
> to the intended
> recipient.

Et voilá, you are stuck. Extracting text from a tiff
file it's possible but harder, only with OCR software
and you can imagine how expensive can be such software
for AS/400 and how poor results you can had using it.
Ways to faxing from the AS/400 are limited. One is
using lpr and take advantage of the options in the
software. You can change the file name to the fax
number and pass it to the linux box, but you will find
that using this option the OS/400 generate 2 files in
the spool and you must figure out wich one is the file
that you want send.
THe best one and the holly grail: the hylafax java
client, gnu-hylafax. I have it working here in a web
app but running in linux. I know that could work with
the big iron.
Or you can try the KISS way like I did,
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/faxing.html#ss5.7 .
Before you asking where is the LINUXOUTQ2 read this
note from the Howto:

Note: In outq.txt you will find the follow line
Workstation costumization object....: LINUXOUTQ2
This applys only for specific national character map
like portuguese, italian ,etc,etc. AS/400 use EBCDIC
internally and needed a little help to know that linux
use ASCII ;-). Any table can be modified but I sugest
changing the 860 map table.

In different words, if your national language is
english, you don't need it. To the other people who
followed the Howto, good news (I hope). In the last
days I spent some time to understand how the char
translation tables work in the AS/400. I think I
figure it out, so expect a improved char table and a
new release of the AS/400 HylaFAX Howto.

> Also...any hints on simplifying the dial
> string rules for my
> application of hylafax?

Uh, what you mean?

Mark, any doubt be my guest.