Re: [hylafax-users] AS400 FAXING

--- andreas@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 04:21:48AM -0700, Pedro
> Rocadas wrote:
> > --- "Moschke, Mark" <mmoschke@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I've managed to get the AS400 to spit out .tiff
> > > files to my hylafax server
> > > via APDS.
> >
> > A brave effort but maybe useless, believe me, I
> know
> > ;-).
> >
> > > I need to know how to go about "pulling"
> > > the fax number from the
> > > .tiff file and automatically sending the .tiff
> file
> > > to the intended
> > > recipient.
> >
> > Et voil?, you are stuck. Extracting text from a
> tiff
> > file it's possible but harder, only with OCR
> software
> > and you can imagine how expensive can be such
> software
> > for AS/400 and how poor results you can had using
> it.
> I think Mark meant how to decode the faxnumber as a
> string
> in the tiff file. tiffinfo should display that. But
> then
> the AS/400 must put the faxno in the .tiff in the
> first
> place.

I'm aware of what the AS/400 tiff tools can do. The
one that I tried was developed by IBM but no support
is provided and funny, the documentation is a bit
obscure.

> Another solution, that works better (IMHO) than
> expected is to print to
> a postscript printer driver,

I'm not sure but I think that the printer drivers that
came with the OS/400 are all PCL...

> and then one extract
> the ascii text of the
> fax via ps2ascii (or pstotext) and grep for the
> faxnumber (and perhaps
> other infos).

Tricky...and who knows how much garbage AS/400 include
in the files...

> Another way would be to use an
> email2fax gateway, ...

Have you worked with AS/400 before? :-)