Re: [hylafax-users] introducing faxing in extra-fine resolutions with HylaFAX

On 2003.05.07 17:15 Frank Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 07 May 2003 15:38:52 -0700
> Lee Howard <faxguy@howardsilvan.com> wrote:

> > Class 1-capable modem or a Class 2 modem(*) that supports extended
> > resolutions within its firmware and are interested in supporting
> > extended resolutions, then please e-mail me privately (off-list).
> >

> The assumption, then, is that this hyperfine extension will not be
> available for the Open Source (i.e. free) version of HylaFAX.

I am determined to ensure that this work does make it to the
open-source version of HylaFAX.  This is not the forum to discuss it,
however, as I tried to indicate.  If there were a
hylafax-politics@hylafax.org list, then yes, maybe there... but for
now, private communication is appreciated.

> > Since that time, traditional fax machines have begun to support
> these
> > fax features.  I know that some machines have supported it since at
> > least 1998.  In my recent polling of approximately 1000 fax
> receivers,
> > nearly 50% (half) of them supported receiving in one or more of
> these
> > extended resolutions.
> >

> I'm just wondering what these polling methods involve.  Would it be
> possible to determine before transmitting a fax whether or not a
> remote
> machine could accept 2-D format?

When you send a fax to a remote device the remote system returns a DIS
message which indicates its capabilities.  I simply parsed that DIS
message as found in one server's fax logs.  The server's distinct
destinations are quantitatively high enough to make my polling roughly
accurate.

In order to know the remote system's capabilities a call must be
placed.  Yes, we could theoretically hang up and then re-dial, but
that's costly.  HylaFAX isn't yet capable of on-the-fly formatting.
Some modems do this, however.  It's known as RTFCC, and HylaFAX
supports it on the MultiTech 5634 series and the Digi AccelePort RAS
modems when they run in Class 2.0 or Class 2.1.

Lee.