[hylafax-users] introducing faxing in extra-fine resolutions with HylaFAX

HylaFAX can now send and receive in extra-fine resolutions with both
Class 1 and Class 2 modems.

In 1995 ITU T.32 (and before that, T.30 in 1993) documented standard
"extended" faxing resolutions of 200 x 400 dpi (R8 x 15.4 l/mm), 300 x
300 dpi, and R16 x 15.4 l/mm (400 x 400 dpi).  These, in effect,
allowed fax machines to send and receive in resolutions of up to twice
the previous resolutions.  These newer resolutions are sometimes
commonly called "superfine", "ultrafine", and "hyperfine".

Since that time, traditional fax machines have begun to support these
fax features.  I know that some machines have supported it since at
least 1998.  In my recent polling of approximately 1000 fax receivers,
nearly 50% (half) of them supported receiving in one or more of these
extended resolutions.  However most Class 2 modem firmwares have, until
just recently, not supported these resolutions, and all fax software
supporting analog modems in Class 1 of which I am aware (including
HylaFAX until now) have not supported these resolutions, either.

As an independent computer consultant trying to promote HylaFAX to
small businesses, I found it embarrassing when my clients would compare
some faxes received by stand-alone fax machines such as an HP OfficeJet
against those received by HylaFAX.  The HP OfficeJets and Panasonic
Panafaxes have long-since supported extended resolutions now (and
probably others), and I found it increasingly difficult for HylaFAX to
"stand up" against the stand-alone fax machine within industries that
regularly required high-resolution faxing due to the use of "fine
print" (real-estate, finance, insurance, and legal businesses are good
examples).

I am happy to now offer to my clients a version of HylaFAX that does
support these extended resolutions.  If you are using HylaFAX with a
Class 1-capable modem or a Class 2 modem(*) that supports extended
resolutions within its firmware and are interested in supporting
extended resolutions, then please e-mail me privately (off-list).

(* Normally such a modem would be said to support "Class 2.1", and the
only *analog* modems that I know of that do support these resolutions
in Class 2 are some of the MultiTech 5634 series.  I do know that some
ISDN and digital modems also support these resolutions.)

If you would like to see some examples of superfine and hyperfine
facsimile images received (and sent) by HylaFAX, please take a look at
http://www.howardsilvan.com/HylaFAX/resolutions.php (you'll need a TIFF
viewer).

Thanks.

Lee.