Re: [hylafax-users] introducing faxing in extra-fine resolutions withHylaFAX

On Wed, 07 May 2003 15:38:52 -0700
Lee Howard <faxguy@howardsilvan.com> wrote:

> If you would like to see some examples of superfine and hyperfine
> facsimile images received (and sent) by HylaFAX, please take a look at
> http://www.howardsilvan.com/HylaFAX/resolutions.php (you'll need a TIFF
> viewer).

For those who would like to stay within the Linux/GNU world, the Open
Source ghfaxviewer works nicely on these images and so does Frank Cringle's
viewfax.  The difference between the two resolutions is substantial.

> I am happy to now offer to my clients a version of HylaFAX that does
> support these extended resolutions.  If you are using HylaFAX with a
> Class 1-capable modem or a Class 2 modem(*) that supports extended
> resolutions within its firmware and are interested in supporting
> extended resolutions, then please e-mail me privately (off-list).

The assumption, then, is that this hyperfine extension will not be
available for the Open Source (i.e. free) version of HylaFAX.

> Since that time, traditional fax machines have begun to support these
> fax features.  I know that some machines have supported it since at
> least 1998.  In my recent polling of approximately 1000 fax receivers,
> nearly 50% (half) of them supported receiving in one or more of these
> extended resolutions.

I'm just wondering what these polling methods involve.  Would it be
possible to determine before transmitting a fax whether or not a remote
machine could accept 2-D format?

Frank Peters