Re: tiff printing problems

On 22 Oct 1999 rwk@americom.com wrote:
> I am having problems printing tiff images I receive via hylafax.  I
> don't know if this is a ghostscript problem, or a tiff2ps problem but
> several things happen depending on what I try:
>
> Case 1 - if I use:
>   tiff2ps -a2 file.tif | gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet4 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- - | lpr
>   It prints a light haze of streaks as a background down the entire
>   page.

I suspect then -2 option is broken somehow.

> Case 2 - if I use:
>   tiff2ps file.tif | gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet4 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- - | lpr
>   It prints without the haze, but it is missing the tag line at the top
>   of the page.  (It appears to be shifting the text up a line so the tag
>   line is off the page.)

Try including the page height and width in the tiff2ps command.

Personnally I use something like this:
     tiff2ps -pa1 -h10.875 -w8.5

The height of slightly less than the page size keeps the tagline from
being put in the "non-printable" area around the outside of the page.

If you want better handling of faxes which do not fit on the page,
get my tiff2ps patch.  The latest version was posted to the list, but has
not been put on hylafax.org yet.

~ John Williams