Re: tiff printing problems

> > Case 2 - if I use:
> >
> >   tiff2ps file.tif | gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet4 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- - | lpr
> >
> >   It prints without the haze, but it is missing the tag line at the top
> >   of the page.  (It appears to be shifting the text up a line so the tag
> >   line is off the page.)
>
> This could be a page size problem: different printers and configurations
> use A4 vs. letter size pages, and this could cost you some space at the
> top of the page if you have a different page size than the fax sender
> used.

In my test cases I am using letter size and faxing to myself, so I know
the size of the fax I am sending.

> > I am using the latest tiff2ps and the latest libtiff.so, as well as gs
> > 5.50.  I am running hylafax-4.1beta1-1rh5.i386.rpm on RH Linux kernel
> > 2.5.
>
> HOLD IT! "latest libtiff.so"? Which TIFF package? HylaFAX was written
> with tiff-3.4beta037, the last one from Sam Leffler, as I remember.
> There is a slightly "newer" one called tiff-3.5 from www.libtiff.org,
> that no one I know has given a full test and report on.

I am using /usr/local/lib/libtiff.so.3.4.035

> I'm also unaware of a 2.5 kernel release for Linux: I thought the latest
> from RedHat was 2.2.xxx?

You are correct.  It is 2.2.5

I left out a .2

> > Bottom line is I can't get the tag line to display without also getting
> > the haze (which blurs the text of the fax).
>
> Full package descriptions, and the brand of your printer, please!
> Also, have you examined the Postscript with "ghostview" on your computer
> displays to look for bugs there?

It is a HP LaserJet 5SI.

Yes, when I display the tif file using gs, gv or viewfax it displays
correctly with no haze and with the correct tag line.

Thanks for your help,
Dick