Re: Modem getting wedged

Todd Knaus wrote:

    Dear Fellow Hylafax users,

    I am new to this list so please forgive me if this topic has been covered.

because you're new we forgive you -- but please capitalize it correctly
as Ivan said :-))  -- it's HylaFAX

    I just installed the new Hylafax v4.0pl1 on a BSDI 2.1 Unix box.  Before
    doing so however I removed all references to flexfax or hylafax from BSDI
    2.1.  I wanted to make sure this was a clean compile and install.

    The build and install went without a hitch.  I also installed an internal
    Cardinal class 2 faxmodem on tty00.  I can access the modem using tip and
    can dial out on it with no problem.

    Now this is where I am getting stuck.  Sending a fax using the command:

    sendfax -n -d "todd@faxnumber" -x "CISNet, Inc." -r "Test Fax" somefile

you should use another syntax of sendfax(1), see Q38 of the FAQ
at http://www.vix.com/hylafax/FAQ/
but this mistake is unrelated to your modem wedged problem;

    Will queue the fax up but will not send it.  Faxstat shows the fax in the
    queue but I get an email message saying the modem is wedged.

please try collect a servertracing and (if faxsend(1M) wants to send
the job) also a sessiontracing; see the trouble-shooting guide of
the sources or of the FAQ (Q146) and also Q112 for the syslogd(1M)
setup;

    Faxq is running and I am using faxmodem tty00.  The system is for outgoing
    faxes only.  I will not be receiving faxes so I did not start faxgetty.

you should run faxgetty(1M) also in an outbound-fax-only environment
because it's much more reliable; just set RingsBeforeAnswer to zero
in the modem config(4F) file if don't want incoming calls to be
answered;

	matthias