Re: Waiting for modem to come ready

Hi:

   I read Q96 and Q126 from the updated FAQ list and they don't really
answer my questions.

   First, when Sam said in August 1996 "USR's Class 2.0 fax firmware is
notoriously substandard.  If you intend to depend on a modem for facsimile
communication you should look at the documentation for recommendations on
modems that are thought to be good." What did he really mean with that?

   I am already stuck with the modem (the same as many other people). I am
not going to by a new modem just to send faxes. I would rather buy a fax
machine. Does HylaFAX not support USR Courier modems completely and
that's why many problems occur with both Class 1 and Class 2.0? Should I
wait for an upgraded firmware in order to be able to send faxes with
HylaFAX? Or, the affirmation above is completely outdated and errors
should not be expected?

   My point is: I am able to send and receive faxes with my USR Courier
V.Everything modem flawlessly using other software. Tha fact that HylaFAX
might not be able to do so seems to me unreasonable.

   Second, which is basically the reason of this mail. My modem is always
"Waiting to come ready". Nico explained that the reason is because the
same modem is used by several programs. In my case, they are PPP, a comm.
package (Minicom under Linux), and HylaFAX. Nico said "to let Hylafax act
as the line handler and start up getty's as necessary, and use the vastly
more universal UUCP file-locking to protect the modem from two
simultaneous uses". However, it seems to me that 'faxgetty' has to do with
the problem more than just the locking system. If I run 'faxgetty', then
the message changes to "Waiting for modem to come free", which makes more
sense to me.

   So, the final question is:

   What are the programs that should be run and how should they be run to
have a consistent fax sending/receiving STANDALONE system? My situation is
a personal computer with Linux that eventually sends and receives faxes.

   Thanks,

	Gabriel

---
Gabriel Fernandez		Wavelets rule!
Computer Science Department	Wavelets are cool!
University of South Carolina	Wavelets smooth your life!
Columbia, SC 29208		Wavelets transform your dimensions!

E-mail: fernande@cs.sc.edu	URL: http://www.cs.sc.edu/~fernande/