Re: [hylafax-users] Spool dir on samba share

* David Muriel <dmuriel@xxxxxxxxxx> [060405 11:04]:

> Both. If one of the linux servers where hylafax is running goes down,
> or even if only hylafax goes down in one of them, the faxes on that
> server will be moved to the other server while the first is down.
> When the server goes up again, it will process only the remaining
> faxes on its queue (the faxes will be moved several at a time, not all
> at the same time).  For this I need the queue of the stopped server to
> be available from the other server, so the first option were to put
> the queue on a shared storage, but the storage supplied by my client
> is a windows share :-(

Unfortunate...

> > This isn't a good solution. As I know (as I remember that I read into
> > the sources), hylafax _need_ *nix file systems and its features like
> > links, so if you have a smb share you can't do it.
>
> Is there any documentation on this?  Could it be possible to have it
> always owned by the same user and group and have it 777 as
> permissions so it can be set when mounting the share?

What documentation ar eyou looking for?  HylaFAX specific use of the
filesystem, or unix filesystem specifics?

HylaFAX was written for unix.  It expects a filesystem that has the
following basic operations:
 - file locking
 - hard links
 - atomic renames across directories.
 - exclusive create&open semantics

These are all intrinsic operations of any unix-based file system
(ext2/3/jfs/xfs/reiser/nfs/etc)

You are not going to get HylaFAX working unless you have all of these
operations via the normal system call interface.  The uid/gid stuff is
not the problem.

If the "filesystem" you have is SMB, what about making a big file
on it and using a loop to give you a unix filesystem.  Basically just
consider your SMB share a source of block devices...  Use a different
file for each server, and then if one fails, you can mount it in the
other server and see what it had in it's state...

Or get him to install unix services for windows and give you NFS.  I'm
assuming that their NFS is complete.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103