Re: [hylafax-users] WHFC problems

Matt Miller wrote:
I've set up hylafax and want to use WHFC as a client for Windows machines. I've gotten it so users can view any incoming fax (our primary use for the fax-server) however it would be nice if they could send faxes as well.
I set up WHFC as a printer and all works well from my account. I have local administrator rights on Windows machines on our domain. However when trying to fax as a test user with no admin rights (like all the users who will be using Hylafax/WHFC) it won't work.
Faxes get stuck in the local WHFC queue, they don't get sent to the server, and the pop-up window that asks for the fax number doesn't appear. Often attempts to cancel the stuck job don't work either. When it does allow me to cancel the job, that's when the window for entering th fax number appears... But of course the job is canceled and wont fax.
Anyone have any ideas?

I use WHFC as a send fax client only (incoming faxes come in on a different line), and its been a long time since I set up a machine to use WHFC but as I recall, there were three main sticking points.

1. Please make sure that the WHFC printer is the printer that is recommended in the documentation, (an old apple laserwriter, I believe) Its just easer that way.

2. If you are using any modern windows version (as in NT or newer, incl 2000 and XP) there there are TWO different settings pages you need to look at.

a. Log into the machine as an admin, then launch WHFC and go to system setup, enter all the server info and make sure you can see the server status report.

b. then log in as a regular user (hopefully one who will be sending faxes) and go to WHFC setup again, only this time you are looking at user details setup. you should be entering username, email address for error reports, and the like.

I didn't think the docs that came with WHFC did a good job explaining this last point.

Now, you didn't ask this question but I want to answer it anyway, WHFC comes will a callable interface that you can use in VBA apps that you might write for M$ Office, that is the reason I picked it in the first place, once you get the clients to work, you will really love the scriptable nature of it. It can come in very handy.

--
Rance Hall
System Administrator