Re: [hylafax-users] confidential faxes

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005, A J Stiles wrote:
>On Thursday 08 December 2005 14:26, you wrote:
>> A J Stiles wrote:
>> >
>> > Well, if someone can't spell HIPAA, then they probably have next to no
>> > chance of complying with it  :)

How can anything be HIPAA compliant if it's running on the
Microsoft Virus, Windows?

>> > The web page idea has legs.  I think what you need to do is:  Display
>> > just the first page of the fax on the receptionist's screen  {I'm
>> > guessing only a human receptionist can decide who the fax is for,
>> > otherwise you can automate-out this step}.  This can be done with a
>> > simple CGI-script.  The receptionist chooses who the fax belongs to and
>> > saves the full content to a directory  {one per recipient}.  Also in this
>> > directory is a simple CGI-script to display the fax as a web page, and a
>> > .htaccess file which prevents anyone who doesn't know the password from
>> > viewing anything in the directory.
>>
>> This introduces a whole host of other problems.  Need for a web server,
>> backups, etc...  but anyway...   Can you provide a pointer to where
>> I could look for examples of the simple cgi scripts you mention?  I'm not
>> asking to be taught cgi... I just don't know what direction your headed
>> with this.   Are you talking about converting the tifs to jpegs/gifs?
>
>Well, you almost certainly already have a web server on your installation CDs.
>Look in your package manager for a package called "apache2" or "apache".
>You'll also need ImageMagick  {for the TIFF to JPEG conversion process}.
>It's probably installed already, but will be on your installation CDs if not.
>
>Read up on the convert command.  Once you manage to do the conversion on the
>command line, it should be easy enough to script it.

There are also image processing packages for perl and python that
work well, and may be easier to use in a cgi environment.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

It's very glamorous to raise millions of dollars, until it's time for the
venture capitalist to suck your eyeballs out.
		-- Peter Kennedy, chairman of Kraft & Kennedy.