Re: [hylafax-users] What is your percentage of hard failures

We have 18 modems here in the US handling about 4000 fax jobs a day with a 35% average failure rate.
We also run HylaFAX in 12 overseas locations with single modem setups and see from 30-50% failure rate.
I know of 1 fax machine that will not work with our MultiTechs, a Lexmark T520 printer/modem but I am sure there are others.
The most common problems are bad fax numbers or extremely busy numbers.
Regards,
Andrew Taylor

Peter Schoenster wrote:
Hi,

I am getting over 50% failures in outgoing faxes. It
doesn't make sense to me. It would make sense if I got
100% failure. I'm not talking about busy signals etc.
I'm talking about when hylafax connects to a remote
fax machine but fails to commmnicate, time and time
again.

I get these 2 errors:

ERR No carrier detected = when using Class 1
No answer (T.30 T1 timeout) = when using Class 2.0

The same destination fax will return those 2 errors
depending on what I set for ModemType in config.modem

I've searched the archives and the web and I found 2
guys in the last 4 years who seemed to have the same
problem as me. I sent an email to both. One guy said
it was never resolved and he just used mgetty+sendfax
on freebsd and has been fine with that.

Perhaps this is normal? Are there fax machines with
which hylafax cannot communicate?  I have been testing
with one fax number. The person who owns the fax says
that they see "Receiving ..." but then nothing happens
and the call just terminates. If using my Savin fax
machine I can send a fax to this fax machine.

I looked in some old logs from our fax server and it
seems like it has always been this way. I recently had
to rebuild our linux box which serves as the fax
gateway and so I've been testing. In the past the
previous admin would ask me if our apps were sending
faxes. I'd test it against our local fax machine and
if it worked I said all was well. I never though to
test against other types of fax machines. Our previous
admin would send out results which showed successful
faxes sent but not failures. Yet in the logs from the
previous linux configuration I see the same number of
errors.

Anyone got a clue on this one? I did try adding the
commas as someone suggested as I was just curious but
it made no difference.

Thanks.