Re: [hylafax-users] What is your percentage of hard failures

Andrew Taylor wrote:

We have 18 modems here in the US handling about 4000 fax jobs a day with a 35% average failure rate.
We also run HylaFAX in 12 overseas locations with single modem setups and see from 30-50% failure rate.

Failure rates from 30 to 50% are catastrophic. But, since you're including "busy", "no carrier", and "no answer" results in your "error count" that's going to throw things off. Normally those kinds of results should be discarded completely as there is no way to categorically know if it was an error or if it wasn't. Run 'xferfaxstats' and divide the number of errors by the number of pages transmitted. That should be your "error rate". That number should not be anywhere near 30%. On the bulk of the systems that I administer this value is much less than 1%.

I know of 1 fax machine that will not work with our MultiTechs, a Lexmark T520 printer/modem but I am sure there are others.

I'd love to take a look at this session log and perhaps send a test fax or two to the destination. What kind of MultiTech modem are you using, anyway?

The most common problems are bad fax numbers or extremely busy numbers.

They're problems, yes, but they shouldn't be counted as errors against HylaFAX performance.

Lee.