Re: [hylafax-users] hylalax can ot negotiate MPS

Rance Hall wrote:

The documentation spent all of 5 sentences (that I found) explaining what the 5 different class options were, but it didnt seem to explain the consequences of a particular choice, and I innoncently figured that a newer protocol must mean more options.

I presume that you mean the documentation that pops up in faxaddmodem. Prior to that addition (which I think occurred in 4.2.0) virtually all new users were selecting Class 2/2.0/2.1 over 1/1.0. So that documentation did get us somewhere.

The booby-trap here was something that was built-in to the naming conventions by the CCITT/ITU. Class 2 is actually *older* (as far as the final release specification) goes than is Class 1. I prefer to thinking of them in terms of "First Class" and "Second Class", and I think that's a bit more accurate.

The downside to telling everyone to use Class 1 is that in some cases Class 2/2.0/2.1 is actually going to be a better choice for some... due to paritculars about their modem or about their setup.

Lee.