Re: [hylafax-users] hylalax can ot negotiate MPS

Rance Hall wrote:

Lee:

The answer to your question about my motivation for choosing class 2 as opposed to class 1 got me to thinking.

The answer is probably ignorance.

You see, this was my first project of this kind and hylafax seemed a natural choice with an active user comminity and my commitment to use open source when possible.

The documentation spent all of 5 sentences (that I found) explaining what the 5 different class options were, but it didnt seem to explain the consequences of a particular choice, and I innoncently figured that a newer protocol must mean more options.

I'm an IT department of one here, and its very difficult to rely on yourself when you know you dont know what you are doing. But you are confident that you can muddle through and figure it out. This requires a major dependance on the user community, and you have been great (all of you).

So, I'd suggest some sort of "decision school" that explains what the decisions are and what they mean to the course of your hylafax experience, because as we all know, good setup and initial configuration can fix 80-90 % of all problems.

Just my two cents worth

Rance

Lee Howard wrote:

Rance Hall wrote:

Switching the modem to a class 1 device and changeing the flow control worked.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose Class 2 in the first place? What could the software have done differently to have helped you to choose Class 1 at that time instead?

Lee.

I do distinctly remember the documentation recommending Class 2. It said it was the most advanced but at the same time was harder to debug.