Re: [hylafax-users] Unspecified Phase C error

On 2004.12.28 12:19 Adam Engel wrote:

To answer my own question, I found this post by Lee:

USR/3Com's Class 2.0 firmware has long since been severely flawed and they seem to not care to fix it - AND there's no way to upgrade it easily if they did. Use Class 1 with USRs.

If this still applies, I will inform my boss tomorrow as a "Have a nice holiday?" gift.

It still applies.

USR modems have problems both in Class 2.0 and in Class 1. There seem to be less problems, in general, when using USR modems in Class 1, however.

Depending upon the exact model and revision of USR modem that you have the bugs vary. For example, the Courier models seem to be better than the Sportster modles, in general. The new 3Com PCI models seem to be a continuation of the Sportster line. I've made multiple unsuccessful attempts to contact someone at 3Com/USR about reporting faxing bugs. The best I've ever been able to do has been to initiate an endless loop of e-mails to their front-line tech support people. Since many (most) of the bugs in the USR modems seem to be in all models from all dates of manufacture, it seems to indicate that there really is no faxmodem engineers at 3Com/USR and that they rely upon their chipset provider (used to be Texas Instruments) for all fax support. Since they've now become their own chipset manufacturer (it appears), I think that means that the faxmodem engineering is at a stand-still, stuck where it was when it left TI.

Regarding your previous Class 1 experience, the errors you had really depend on the circumstances, particularly what version of HylaFAX was used. HylaFAX's Class 1 driver improved tremendously at each step through the 4.1 versions. The added ECM support in 4.2.0 should make Class 1 usage very attractive there. As ECM protocol seems to be more resiliant than non-ECM, using ECM will generally improve "stability".

The best thing that you can do with USR modems is to not even think about using them for faxing. If you succomb to the temptation then you'll just spend a lot of time trying to get a broken thing to "hold together". You'd be much better off with a new MultiTech or MainPine or anything with the old Rockwell chipsets that support Class 1.

Lee.