[hylafax-users] DID Answering Questions

So, any suggestions? After setting the modem speaker volume on successfully an
incoming call still produces no audible sound. From a phone handset if I dial
the DID/Fax number I hear it answering. I do not however hear the sound of an
incoming fax call while standing beside the DID modem. Speaker set on and
volume set to high per below settings. Am I doing something wrong in setting
the volume or is this indicative of wiring or telco problems?

Thanks in advance!

Quoting Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 2004.11.11 08:40 Wendell Dingus wrote:
> > I'm not local to the server so I asked the customer to do this. I
> > disabled
> > faxgetty, connected to the modem, factory defaulted it, set the
> > speaker on and
> > some volume, &W wrote the changes, exited, re-enabled faxgetty. What I
> > don't
> > know though is if faxgetty undid that change for me?
>
> Yup.  Setting the speaker volume is part of the initialization process
> that HylaFAX follows (faxgetty and faxsend).
>
> Assuming that your ModemSetVolumeCmd is correct (and I think the
> default is), you set "SpeakerVolume: medium" in your modem config file
> and then restart faxgetty.
>
> Lee.

Thanks, RTFM does occasionally work :)

OK, so I have the speaker volume set to high now. I had the customer repeat the
test and he sees the lights on the modem come on indicating it's answering a
call but still hears nothing. So if I dial the number voice and hear it answer
or send a fax and hear my fax machine negotiating but there's no sound on the
other end, what's up? A wiring or physical problem on the telco side? Hmm...

Thanks in advance!

Here is the entire config file as of right now:

CountryCode:            1
AreaCode:               423
FAXNumber:              +1.423.555.5555
LongDistancePrefix:     1
InternationalPrefix:    011
DialStringRules:        etc/dialrules
ServerTracing:          1
SessionTracing:         11
RecvFileMode:           0600
LogFileMode:            0600
DeviceMode:             0600
RingsBeforeAnswer:      1
ModemSetVolumeCmd:   "ATM0 ATM1L1 ATM1L3 ATM1L5 ATM1L7"
SpeakerVolume:          high
GettyArgs:              "-h %l dx_%s"
LocalIdentifier:        "NothingSetup"
TagLineFont:            etc/lutRS18.pcf
TagLineFormat:          "From %%l|%c|Page %%P of %%T"
MaxRecvPages:           25
#

ModemType:              Class1.0                # use this to supply a hint
ModemFlowControl:       rtscts          # many firmwares have broken software
flow control
Class1TCFRecvHack:      yes             # avoid +FCERROR before TCF
# Class1MsgRecvHackCmd: AT+FRS=1        # avoid +FCERROR before image
Class1TMConnectDelay:   400             # counteract quick CONNECT response

# If your line supports Caller-ID, you may want to uncomment this...
# QualifyCID:           etc/cid         # you must create this file
# ModemResetCmds:       AT+VCID=1
# CIDNumber:            "NMBR="
# CIDName:              "NAME="

# Or with the MT5634ZBA-DID you'll probably need something like...
ModemReadyCmds: AT*DS1*DD0*DF1*DN4      # enable DTMF-DID, wink-start, 4 digits
CIDNumber:              "DTMF"          # format of AT*DF1
CIDNumberAnswerLength:  4       # four DTMF-DID digits then ATA