Re: [hylafax-users] Problems running whfc via putty - tunnel

Guten Tag Giuseppe Sacco,

Am Sonntag, 29. August 2004 um 11:07 schrieb Giuseppe Sacco:

> Il Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 02:05:06AM +0200, Stefan Schilling ha scritto:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I´ve three boxes:
>> - a Win2000 client, which is in the same LAN as the hylafax box; here
>> everything works fine
>> - a Linux box, with hylafax and ssh running
>> - a 2nd Win2000 box, which is connected to the hylafax box over the
>> internet and putty
>>
>> I´ve set up putty to tunnel the traffic on localhost (127.0.01) to the
>> linux box (L:4559 debian.wg:4559). I can connect to the box via
>> telnet:
>>
>> 220 debian.wg server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.1.7) ready.
>>
>> I can connect to the hylafax box via whfc, because it says
>>
>> "debian.wg server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.1.7 ready."
>>
>> in whfc status line.
>> BUT it then immedialy hangs for a while, until an error box comes up
>> with:
>>
>> "WSAETIMEDOUT: Connection timed out"

> Well, I am not an expert of the hylafax protocol, but since I understood
> that this is a derivative work from the FTP protocol, then probably you
> should activate some option like "PASSIVE". This is required in FTP
> since you have two different connections, not just one. One connection
> on port 4559 is the control channel and one on another port (the first
> available) is the data channel.

in fact, "PASSIVE" is already activated. There is another way of
transferring the data: you can obviously try to use the hylafax -
internal ftp - programm (see doku of whfc). But that didnt work,
either.

> If this is the case for the hylafax protocol than you cannot just use
> putty on one specific channel.

alright, so what do I have to add to the putty settings.

It seems that its only working in my LAN, because ftp is allowed
there, too. Poorly, I only have a public IP on my 3rd box, so I can´t
configure putty properly. I have tried to configure a reversal setup
of putty, with opening a tunnel from the linux (hylafax) box to my win
- client, but that didn´t work either.

any ideas?

> Just my 2 eurocent :-)

wow! you´re cheap!! :) Thanks a lot so far.

cu,
Stefan

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen