Re: [hylafax-users] Problems running whfc via putty - tunnel

Il Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 02:05:06AM +0200, Stefan Schilling ha scritto:
> Hello!
>
> I´ve three boxes:
> - a Win2000 client, which is in the same LAN as the hylafax box; here
> everything works fine
> - a Linux box, with hylafax and ssh running
> - a 2nd Win2000 box, which is connected to the hylafax box over the
> internet and putty
>
> I´ve set up putty to tunnel the traffic on localhost (127.0.01) to the
> linux box (L:4559 debian.wg:4559). I can connect to the box via
> telnet:
>
> 220 debian.wg server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.1.7) ready.
>
> I can connect to the hylafax box via whfc, because it says
>
> "debian.wg server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.1.7 ready."
>
> in whfc status line.
> BUT it then immedialy hangs for a while, until an error box comes up
> with:
>
> "WSAETIMEDOUT: Connection timed out"

Well, I am not an expert of the hylafax protocol, but since I understood
that this is a derivative work from the FTP protocol, then probably you
should activate some option like "PASSIVE". This is required in FTP
since you have two different connections, not just one. One connection
on port 4559 is the control channel and one on another port (the first
available) is the data channel.

If this is the case for the hylafax protocol than you cannot just use
putty on one specific channel.

Just my 2 eurocent :-)

Bye,
Giuseppe